June 13, 2021
This position includes both project management and advanced software development. The successful applicant will perform multidisciplinary work in data science, clinical trials, and cloud computing. Our group is centrally involved with the Bioconductor project, a 20- year open source/open development effort in the domain of statistics and computing for genome scale biology. Strong acquaintance with github, OpenAPI, R, Linux, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform expected. Specifically, duties include:
- Understand the software ecosystem defined at bioconductor.org, with particular attention to the build system, system health reporting, and release cycle for approximately 2000 R packages. All packages are built on Linux, Windows, and Mac platforms.
- Understand the Terra cloud computing platform underlying anvilproject.org, and the OpenAPI/Swagger definitions of platform API components.
- Participate in the training of physician- scientists and professional data scientists in the operation of Bioconductor and cloud computing platforms for computational research in biology and clinical applications.
- Produce R packages for addressing newly posed problems in genomics and epidemiology arising in the research portfolio of the Channing Division of Network Medicine.
- Manage the work of one or more junior bioinformaticians.
MSc or equivalent in Bioinformatics, computer science or a related research field required. Experience in R/Bioconductor and analysis of RNA and DNA sequencing data required. Research experience in an academic setting required.
- Must have knowledge of medical and genetics terminology as well as good general written and verbal skills.
- High degree of communication skills and ability to present research professionally at meetings and via teleconference.
- Must have the ability to work independently and in a timely fashion.
- Meticulous attention to detail in all aspects of the job is necessary to obtain valid research results.
- Needs ability to relate and work well with individuals from various backgrounds and fields of expertise.
- Must have data analysis skills, and experience using R/Bioconductor and high performance computing for genetic data analysis.
Contact Dr. Vincent Carey with questions.