July 26, 2021
To participate in research activities involved in the analysis of Next Generation Sequencing such as data derived from genomics and transcriptomics (bulk and single-cell sequencing) to the UAB Biological Data Science institutional core. To support research services such as study design, data management, data analysis, pipeline development and to aid in the generation of training guides and documentation. To stay abreast of recent literature and other new developments, incorporating new techniques into existing data analysis protocols and pipelines in support of the institutional core’s mission of high quality, reproducible computational biology research.
- Performs computational data analysis of transcriptomics and genomics studies.
- Designs, develops and implements software tools and analytical procedures supporting bioinformatics analysis.
- Participates in projects related to the core sustainability including but not limited to pipeline development, web application development, maintenance of documentation and training guides and other services to support the needs of UAB investigators.
- Provides computational support services such as study design, data management and data migration.
- Offers bioinformatics consultation services to UAB investigators.
- Evaluates and identifies new technologies for implementation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, Computer Science with interest in Biology/Genomics, or a related field required and six (6) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement. Higher degree levels (masters, Ph.D.) in a related field are accepted as experience.
Knowledge of the biological sciences Experience in computational biology analysis Experience in Linux and using a command-line environment Knowledge of scripting languages such as, Python, shell scripts, and R Knowledge of best practices of reproducible and scalable research such as version control (git) and environment managing systems (e.g.: conda, Docker, Singularity) Proficiency in the visualization of omics data Experience in High Performance Computing environment is preferable Ability to work as part of a team Knowledge of theoretical and applied statistics, and molecular biology, as demonstrated through previous work or academic experience Problem-solving skills Attentive to detail Organizational skills Excellent written and verbal communication skills
An ideal candidate will follow best practices described to ensure reproducible and scalable research and be proficient in the analysis of transcriptomics data (e.g.: differential expression analysis, enrichment analysis, single-cell or nuclei data visualization and analysis, gene set annotation and contribute to upstream data analysis through the development of pipelines). An ideal candidate should also be familiar with managing virtual computational environments and be familiar with high performance computing clusters.
Annual Salary Range: $69,596.80 - $114,150.40
Contact Lara Ianov (email@example.com) with questions.