July 29, 2021
We are seeking a scientific engineer with extensive experience in bioinformatics, passionate about helping people by advancing drug development for diseases with unmet medical need. Ideal candidates will bring significant experience working with large genomic databases and developing robust software tools that drive scientific discovery.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with our Computational Biology team on computational resources needed to drive our science forward
- Be the thought leader in proposing and implementing best practices in big data management
- Maintain, improve and extend existing R packages and pipelines developed by 23andMe, and develop new R code as needed
- Maintain, improve and scale our data resources to support the interpretation of genetic and functional genomics results
- Serve as liaison with members of the Engineering, AWS, IT, and Bioinformatics teams and act as the Computational Biology stakeholder in joint company-wide initiatives
- Ph.D. – or Master’s with at least 5 years of work experience in a research setting – in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics or a related field
- Strong development skills in R, and demonstrated ability to write R packages for broad use
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment
- Experience in deploying internally developed tools in a production environment
- Effective communication skills and experience communicating software or database design to colleagues
Contact Anqi Zhu (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.